Thursday, April 8, 2021

It's Celebrate Teen Literature Day!

You are growing up in a day and age where there are so many great books written for young people.  So much in fact that adults are loving to read this type of literature too. From Harry Potter to The Hunger Games to The Hate U Give to The Fault in Our Stars to so many other great books, adults are finding lots to read in YA and children's literature.  Now, maybe I'm a bit biased, being a librarian, but if I think back to my childhood growing up I can only remember a slight few books that were aimed at tweens and teens that were any good. 

I do remember one book I got from the Scholastic Book Fair that I was in love with. It was a sad book (I have always apparently loved sad/depressing stories) called I Want to Live by Lurlene McDaniel.  It is a book in a series but this is the title I most remember.  I read it many times.  I was surprised to see it, and other McDaniel books are still being published and read!  I guess maybe there was a reason this book was one I remembered. But other than that book, I don't recall reading anything in my tweens and teens that was aimed at my age group that was memorable.  

As a lover of books and a librarian for tweens and teens I am so happy to see so many amazing, literary, relatable books being written for this age group.

When the MMSD Middle School Librarians pick books for Battle of the Books we try to pick books we know are great, but that may not be the first book a student picks up.  I think we did a good job this year based on the feedback we have received:



The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) puts out a list each year of the Teen's Top Ten that you can access here.  

What are your favorite books???  Share them here if you would like to have them posted on the blog this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment