Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Favorite books from SHMS staff members

As we wrap up National Library Month we wanted to share with you that we are all life long readers! 

Here are some of our favorite books or the best books we read so far this year.

Ms. Mack shared 2 great books!

"One of my favorite books I've read this year is The Project. This young adult novel follows a young woman trying to get her sister out of an exclusive AND elusive group known as The Unity Project. This novel had suspense, mystery, and family drama. I'm so impressed with the quality and diversity of YA literature out there today!" 






Her second favorite book is Anxious People by Frederik Backman -- "I laughed, I cried, I love this author!"





Mr. Ropa
"My favorite book of all time is A Sand County Almanac, by Aldo Leopold. But I'm reading Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower, right now."



Ms. Leuthold
"The best book I read this year was Untamed by Glennon Doyle! It was so empowering and I love reading about other people's stories."











Mr. Olson 

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas


Ms Tiffany
The best book Miss Tiffany read this year was Becoming by Michelle Obama. 
FYI, we just got two copies of the YA version of this amazing book!  Let Mrs. Schmitz know if you want it because it's not in the system yet!









Mr. Sean (for those of you who don't know him yet, he is our 6th grade Science/Math sub for Mr. Kruska)
Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings: "The magic system was cool."




Ms. Waite 
"I really enjoyed reading Matthew McConaughey's book GreenLights. It is about joys and challenges - it's lessons - and how to deal with challenges so that we can catch more 'green lights.'"






Mr. Debertin
"I LOVED the Scythe trilogy. Interesting characters set in an original dystopian future."


 








Mr. Bobb
He really enjoyed the book Crash and recommends it for all you 6th graders if you have not read it yet!









Ms. Barrett and Ms. Harper had the same answer

Ibram X. Kendi's How to be an Antiracist 
"
The author explains both how to be an antiracist individual and how to create systemic change."





Ms. Gilmore
Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle by Emily Nagoski and Amelia Nagoski
"It was my favorite because it helped me understand how stress works and that if we don't complete the cycle then we carry that energy with us until we find a way to let it out. If we don't find a healthy way to let stress out then it can come out in unhealthy ways. Also, there are 2 parts to stress that we need to address, both the reaction we are having to stress and the stressor itself. We can't do the second until we do the first. This book taught me there are multiple ways to complete the stress cycle and it's different for every person, we all need to take the time to find out what works for us. We also might use multiple strategies at a time or different strategies for different situations."





Nurse Marie
Troubles in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand








Ms. Salas
shared several of her favorites!
"The Giver Quartet by Lois Lowry- The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger, and Son. I love how intertwined the stories are and figuring out how they connect.
*The Shades of London Series by Maureen Johnson- The Name of the Star, The Madness Underneath, The Shadow Cabinet
I love mystery books in which I have to try to figure out what is happening and who is doing it.
The Book of Ivy by Amy Engl
I like that the setting is a futuristic society. It reminds me of The Giver.


Ms. Kruger
"My current favorite book is Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil DeGrasse Tyson (the audiobook is particularly good because he narrates it and has the best narrating voice!!). I love it because it's written in a way to help people who are not experts on astrophysics to understand this topic, and to particularly make sense of a variety of phenomena in our universe. There's also a younger reader version of it called Astrophysics for Young People in a Hurry.




Ms. Murphy
One of the last books she read and recommends is The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America by Richard Rothstein.





Ms. Krahn
"Hmm I think the best book I have read so far this year would be the Lunar Chronicles series."












Ms. Schmitz
There are two books that really stick with me that I have read this year.  One is King and the Dragonflies by Kacen Callender.  The story is just beautiful and has really stayed with me. It is about hurt and friendship and loss and knowing and speaking your truth... all I could think after I read it was what a beautiful book it was.

The other book is When They Call You a Terrorist: A story of Black Lives Matter and the Power to Change the World (adapted for Young People) by Patrisse Kahn-Cullors. This is a memoir from one of the women who started the Black Lives Matter movement.

















No comments:

Post a Comment