Monday, July 18, 2022

What I read last school year

In the 2021-2022 school year, I started sharing the book(s) I was currently reading/listening to and all the books I read during the school year on the library slideshow I have displayed on the TV in the library.  This was a way to show students what I was reading as well as to keep me accountable for reading.  Audiobooks have been one of my favorite ways to read this past year, as I have a bit of a commute to and from work and listening to a book makes it much more enjoyable!

So, here is what I ended up reading/listening to from July 2021 to June 2020:

I really enjoyed all of these books, some more than others.  I do wonder sometimes if reading a book or listening to a book could sway how much I enjoyed it. Listening to The Firekeeper's Daughter I was able to hear how some of the Native words were pronounced - the same is true for listening to I Must Betray You. And I really appreciated this about these books and found the experience of listening to them very enjoyable. I read The House in the Cerulean Sea and the characters came so alive in my mind while reading. I heard from others who listened to the audiobook that the reader did voices for all the characters and made them come alive... but I wonder if listening to it will ruin my interpretation of the characters.  As readers, we make choices in how things are pronounced if we don't know how it is pronounced, and on how we think characters are saying the dialogue the author has written for them. So, while audiobooks are an interpretation of a text done by a reader/voice actor, reading the book allows you to use you to do the interpretation on your own.  This might be why I really do enjoy listening to audiobooks of nonfiction - mostly memoirs or autobiographies read by the authors, because there is less characters to interpret. 

No comments:

Post a Comment